Scaling innovative business models
With the Up-Scaling Programme, DEG finances new investments of early-stage SMEs aimed at scaling innovative business models with high development impact.
Eligible are early-stage SMEs (i) in the FinTech Sector, or (ii) with embedded finance components, or (iii) in the GreenTech Sector which are registered in a developing country or emerging market. These may also be local subsidiaries of German or European companies. Preference is given to investments in Africa.
What DEG offers
The Up-Scaling programme provides funding of 500,000 to 749,000 EUR, which constitutes a maximum of 50% of the total investment volume. Private sponsors must contribute a substantial share of equity (at least 25% of total investment volume). Up-Scaling funds must be repaid in the event of success of the company (depending on pre-defined financial criteria such revenue or profit). The programme is co-financed by BMZ.
Conditions for funding
The programme addresses companies that fulfill the following requirements:
- The company employs an innovative and scalable business approach with a high developmental impact.
- The company has a proven track record, i.e. it is operational for minimum 12 month and generates substantial revenues.
- The planned investment generates positive returns (as outlined by a comprehensive business plan and financial projections).
- The company shows high growth potential owing to the size of the market and the target group.
- The company has the management capacity, human resources and know-how to substantially scale their activities.
Interested companies may submit their proposals for funding through Up-scaling to DEG at any time. For this purpose please use the documents provided here.